Re: [DotGNU]Newbie

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Newbie
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 21:18:24 +0100 (CET)

Roger R. Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am interested in security and the System.Security library, but I would
> be more than happy to help out wherever I can.

I'll be really glad to have someone one board who is seriously
interested in security stuff, and who can make sure that DotGNU's
implementation of System.Security will be worthy of that name :-)

BTW this is one of the areas where there will almost necessarily
be differences between what Mono wants to have in that namespace
and what we will wanr: I believe that Mono is interested in just a
faithful implementation of whatever there is in .NET, while here
in DotGNU we should carefully consider what extensions we want in
order to make it meet the GNU needs... for example I think that
we'll want our System.Security to contain extensions that support
the standard security features of Unix and GNU systems.  For
example, code should be able to assert that it's not running as
root, and/or that it runs in a changeroot jail (I'd define "runs
in a changeroot jail as "there are no entried for hard disks in
/dev/" when there's no way to query the kernel about this).

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
Tel +41 1 972 20 59        Fax +41 1 972 20 69       http://norbert.ch