Re: [DotGNU]Call for testing Swig + Pnet = SwigSharp (For Debian)

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Call for testing Swig + Pnet = SwigSharp (For Debian)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 00:33:38 -0800 (PST)

--- minddog <address@hidden> wrote:
> Okay so I did a little hacking today with your swigsharp...

COOL thanks,

> FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "minddog"
Hmm looks like it is running, just not well

> So it doesn't quite work yet, but it will be nice to _finally_ have a
> GNU
> compatible library for database connections.  This will work
> tomorrow, =)

Cool

> Hopefully I can get the Virtual Identities FOAF server setup with the
> database
> soon.
>
> Mdupont, great work on getting that going!

:)

> What next? OpenGL, pnet itself?! hehe

Well, I am reviewing wrapping the Pnet and Mono internal data
structures with swig, and compiling them with pnet/C.

It seems that pnet uses internal calls, and we may have to make a swig
version that uses Internal Calls instead of PInvoke.
(And mono uses different internal calls)

Personally, I would like to see a Mono Personality for pnet so we can
use Mono INternal calls on the pnet runtime
See my unoffical task proposal :
http://wiki.dotgnu.org/TaskMonoPersonality

Well the first step in all this is to wrap them both,
even if the pinvokes are inefficient... With pnet as a swigged module,
then I can create Pnet/IlRun as a Perl Module, as a CORBA modules, as a
Java Modules, as a Ruby Module. It will be able to just load IL and
invoke calls to C# from any language.

That will make pnet very useful.
http://wiki.dotgnu.org/Task_3a_20PNet_20ILRun_20Component

In anycase, swig will be a very usefull tool for pnet in the future,
my plan for it looks like this :

1. Document the parser - codegenerator interface.
2. Isolate the (buggy) C++ Parser out of swig.
3. Create an data stream from the introspector to feed it parsed
headers (like www.gccxml.org) (make swig have a introspector input data
stream)
4. Create a similar feed to Binge, allowing the introspector results to
be transformed into the format that binge uses.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/