Re: [DotGNU]Decompiler help needed.....

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Decompiler help needed.....
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:25:43 +1000

On Thursday 13 March 2003 10:10 pm, Nargis Anjaria wrote:
> hello.. i m working on .Net Decompiler that will input and exe file and
> will generates its equivalent C# file..its similar to Salamander...i m
> learning IL but the problem is i m unable to get how i m going to read IL
> code from the exe...can any body give me any idea.???..or can tell me links
> that help me...??

Two ways:

1. Process the text output of Portable.NET's disassembler, ildasm.
2. Load the .exe with ILLoadImage or something similar, and then walk
   the data structures defined in pnet/engine/il_program.h to extract
   the information you want.  The ildasm code can serve as a guide.

The second is easier in some ways.  Most of the hard work of breaking program
components out into useful data structures is already done.  If you use the
text disassembly output, then you'll have to parse the text and build the
structures yourself before you can analyse them.

It will also help to have some familiarity with the ECMA metadata
specification (ECMA 335 Partition II), to understand how all the pieces fit
together.