Re: [DotGNU]Starting of the swigging of pnet

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Starting of the swigging of pnet
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:28:08 +1000

On Sunday 16 March 2003 08:19 pm, James Michael DuPont wrote:

> The reason why I started on this was to help implement reflection.emit.
> When the ILAsm code is wrapped in internal calls, and made available
> via static linking to the C#, it can be used to implement the
> Reflection.Emit code.

Which is the wrong approach.  Reflection.Emit should be implemented using
internalcalls direct to the underlying engine, in the same style as the
existing System.Reflection interface.  All of the necessary infrastructure is
already in place - it just needs to be hooked through.

Swig will *not* help you implement Reflection.Emit.  It will instead introduce
huge amounts of unnecessary complexity and bloat.  Complexity that I will
have no choice but to reject if it turns up in the patch queue.

*sigh*  Solve the actual problem Michael, not what you want the problem to be.