Re: [DotGNU]RDF Query Language

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]RDF Query Language
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:47:55 -0500

Peter Minten wrote:

> The basic SELECT operation goes like this:
> SELECT propertynames
> FROM resourceclassnames
> WHERE condition
> GROUP BY propertynames
> HAVING condition
>
> An example:
> ALIAS dc http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/;
> ALIAS rdf http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#;
>
> SELECT dc:creator
> FROM rdf:Description
> WHERE dc:language = "english";
>
> This query returns all the resources from class rdf:Description
> (http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Description) that have as language
> English and it returns the creator of those descriptions.

I do something rather similar to this with CCL, only instead of ALIAS, I
make basic variable types out of the elements of the universal data
structure.  You just declare a variable for the particular context element,
and the variable holds its context along with the element.  The query could
then use variables directly, behaving in accordance with the particular
element type of that variable.  I am also considering something like
foo:use, foo:linktype, etc., where foo is a variable pointing to a context
rather than one element in it.

Seth Johnson

--

DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org

[CC] Counter-copyright: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html

I reserve no rights restricting copying, modification or distribution of
this incidentally recorded communication.  Original authorship should be
attributed reasonably, but only so far as such an expectation might hold for
usual practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no claim of
exclusive rights.