Re: [DotGNU]Implement RDF in a Universal Data Structure

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Implement RDF in a Universal Data Structure
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:23:13 -0500

Norbert Bollow wrote:

> Seth Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > > Build this into DotGNU.  Make a language that speaks in terms of
> > > these abstractions.  I call the language CCL, or Context Control
> > > Language, and I call the basic structure of a context "packet" or
> > > "message" CTP, or Context Transfer Protocol.  CTP can either be
> > > defined as something immediately above TCP and immediately below
> > > the application layer, in a binary way, or we could define it as
> > > something correlative with HTTP, in a more textual way.
>
> Whereever you put it, until it has proved its usefulness, it'll be an
> experimental project... therefore, I wouldn't expect other DotGNU
> development projects to introduce additional complexity in order to
> accomodate your CCL and/or CTP.

Well, I agree with this, else I'd be agitating more about it.  However, it
works and the design is pretty well spec'd out.  A lot of things in DotGNU
could definitely benefit from CTP.  I think for a couple of reasons some
people are going to have to see it to believe in it first, and it is not the
sort of thing I think should be done on the "release early, release often"
principle.  The first reason is that DotGNU's basic inspiration is
implementing the CLR .NET kind of thing, so something that purports to be
more of a universal application than a universal runtime necessarily brings
about cognitive dissonance.  The other reason I've already mentioned -- it's
not something I intend let too many people in on.  At some point I will
present it to GNU folks.  I showed RMS an early server about a year or so
ago, and his main thing was that I ought to show it to database type folks
who could comment on whether it's already been or being done.  But the truth
is, the whole database industry is unaware that this is a possibility.

Seth Johnson

> Peter Minten <address@hidden> replied:
>
> > In the infosphere (the world of info, cyberspace is a subset of it)
> > everything can be expressed using subject-link-object
> > terminology. So everything can be expressed as RDF.  Or more exactly
> > everything can be expressed as a web.
>
> This is true.  However, it is also true that everything in the
> infosphere can be expressed as a stream of binary digits.
>
> The real question is, what way of representing some information
> is useful for the task at hand?  The answer will depend on the
> information and on what you want to do with it.
>
> For example, in Abdabi (the service discovery system that I'm
> planning to put together) RDF will use used for input and
> output of service descriptions.  However, internally, for
> purposes of data processing (selecting an interesting subset
> of the available information) a different data representation
> will be used.
>
> Greetings, Norbert.
>
> --
> Founder & Steering Committee member of http://gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
> Free Software Business Strategy Guide   --->  http://FreeStrategy.info
> Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet (near Zurich, Switzerland)
> Tel +41 1 972 20 59        Fax +41 1 972 20 69       http://norbert.ch

DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org

[CC] Counter-copyright: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html

I reserve no rights restricting copying, modification or distribution of
this incidentally recorded communication.  Original authorship should be
attributed reasonably, but only so far as such an expectation might hold for
usual practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no claim of
exclusive rights.