RE: [DotGNU]Implement RDF in a Universal Data Structure

From: Danny Ayers
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]Implement RDF in a Universal Data Structure
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:01:13 +0200

> I'm mostly just letting people know it exists.  I've spoken with
> some people
> among the DotGNU crew, not at much length, but my intention is to have it
> ready before I make it available to the DotGNU project.

I apologise for being skeptical, but there are many alternative 'universal
data structures' and things like scalability and interoperability are hard
to demonstrate behind closed doors - this stuff needs to work distributed on
the web.

Additionally, whatever the virtues of the u.d.s. the current level of
adoption will influence future adoption - so for example although I'm sure
Lazy Software's "Associative Model of Data" is wonderful, I can't see their
model taking the place of the relational DB or RDF model in the foreseeable
future.

Personally I'd opt for RDF as the base model as it has pretty well worked
out theoretical (web-friendly) foundations and isn't doing badly
implementation-wise. If your system is as versatile as you suggest, then it
should be possible to bridge easily to it, perhaps plugging it in as an
alternative backend to RDF..?

Cheers,
Danny.