Re: [DotGNU]Re: [Forum-dev]Forum update 30-3-2003

From: Peter Minten
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: [Forum-dev]Forum update 30-3-2003
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:02:54 +0200

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> --- Peter Minten <address@hidden> wrote:
> > James Michael DuPont wrote:
> >
> > > I am interesting in doing some basic work on forum,
> > >
> > > I have sketched out the architecture for a knowledge browser,
> > > it has to be hooked up to an indexing system.
> > > We need to be able to full text index many documents that make up a
> > > knowledgebase. We need to also convert all the relevant documents
> > into
> > > easy to read files.
> >
> > We should definetely discuss the knowledge web on the FSEDU list
> > sometime.
> >
> > > The different files can be first converted into xml or html, and
> > > referenced by RDF. That is the creating of an index.
> > >
> > > Now the key part is this :
> > > 1. We need a central key system that has simple rdf descriptions of
> > > concepts.
> > > 2. The key concepts are hooked into the indexing system, so you can
> > > find  documents based on the keys.
> > > 3. The different documents are then related by the relationships
> > > between the key and you can filter them down using the
> > relationships.
> > >
> > > All of this uses the interactive forum system.
> > >
> > > is is possible?
> >
> > Easy as the root of PI^2. What you do is make a program that
> > interfaces with the
> > GNU.RDF server, preferably through the server API for speed. You then
> > make this
> > program a forumapp.
>
> What about the GUI? How hard is that?

Well, if you're careful not to use GTK features that are deprecated in GTK2
(once the support for GTK2 in Ruby and Glade is complete enough I'll switch from
GTK1 to GTK2) it's not hard. Simply write a Ruby script that plugs into the
forumclient (dunno the details of how it works yet) and make it communicate with
the forumapp.

> How many servers do I need?

If you run it on the VRS you probably need only one server in the beginning and
expand when needed, VRS tech makes this really easy.

Greetings,

Peter