Re: [DotGNU]Intro

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Intro
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:20:45 +0530

If memory serves me right, Sridhar Vasudevan wrote:
> I have been programming for about 6 years now (4 years in industry)  and been
> actively involved in developing java virtual machines for cell phones and
> other embedded devices for the last 2 years or so.

Cool ...

> Rhys....NB suggested you can guide me to an area for starters. At irc we
> talked about a JIT or some work on the threading.

Threading indeed could use a lot of help right now... A JIT is being worked
upon by Gowri Kumar from IISc (hopefully it's made some headway while I've
been MIA ;) and yet another possible move to base our interpreter on the
GNU Lightning to speed it up for Mac and other non x86 platforms was discussed.

> in the .net world is almost zero, based on my JVM experience, I should very
> soon become comfortable with most areas in the runtime engine or the
> associated APIs.

The Portable.net structure is very clean and therefore hard to hack out
something quickly , but you do get into the slot sooner or later :-).

I'll be committing the Java compiler into CVS as long as me & Rhys figure
out the problems and do a general cleanup ... I hope porting Classpath to
be runnable in Portable.net will be something you could contribute to.

> Sridhar (rainmaker on irc )

Gopal (t3rmin4t0r on IRC)