[DotGNU]Re: mod_dgee port to Apache2 (was Re: DGEE boot failure)

From: Chris Smith
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: mod_dgee port to Apache2 (was Re: DGEE boot failure)
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 01:26:19 +0000

On Monday 14 July 2003 01:57, Taher Sehli wrote:

> when I look in the log directory (there isn't any file !). In fact it's
> not running because when i try :
> shell> dgadmin boot
> Error Initialising Administrator (Goldwater is not running)

You should get a logfile regardless as the gwadmin writes log entries
directly.  Perhaps this is the prob?
If this is a standard installation from src, then the logfile will be found in
/usr/local/var/log/dgee/  (But you've sent me a logfile in the past....)

> I tried to use gdb (although am not familiar with it) to see what is
> happening :
>
> shell>gdb goldwater
> (gdb) run start
> Starting program: /usr/local/bin/goldwater start
> Initialising local Goldwater administrative processes....
> Initialising process Guardian....
> Couldn't get registers: Operation not permitted.
>
> I think the last message is due to a bug in gdb (I saw some messages in
> internet about this gdb bug).

Yep, that's probably just gdb.

When you do a dgadmin start (or goldwater start for that matter) various
things are set up and the controlling 'guardian' process is started.  If the
guardian process is not running, then booting the dgee will not work.

Note that dgadmin is just an alias for 'goldwater'.  The two can be used
interchangably.

Once you've done a dgadmin start do a ps and see if guardian is running.  I
suspect not.
It may help to do:
strace -f -F goldwater start 2>&1 | tee /tmp/strace.out

This will trace the running of the goldater admin and the guardian process
startup.  If this doesn't come back to the command line, then the guardian
process must be running as the goldwater admin tool will always exit in
command line mode.  Check from another terminal - however I expect the strace
to complete quite quickly if you're having problems.

Pascal was getting a similar problem, but I've not heard back from him.

Cheers,
Chris