dotgnu-libjit

Re: [Libjit-developers] libjit vs LLVM

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Libjit-developers] libjit vs LLVM
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 14:02:05 +1000

On Friday 28 May 2004 01:48 pm, Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2004, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> > I was going strictly by the documentation on your Web site.  From that
> > documentation, it appeared that LLVM had more in common with Parrot's
> > imcc mechanism than libjit.  I apologise if this is incorrect.
>
> Interesting?  Can you point out the doc that gave you this impression?  I
> would really like to fix it.  :)

http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/LangRef.html

That document is clearly describing an on-disk text representation of
primitive instructions.  Just like imcc.  I merely assumed that I was
required to generate the text form to use it.

Looking further into the site, there is other API documentation, but the front
page documentation gives the impression that on-disk forms are required to
use LLVM.  The bulk of the documentation seems concerned with generating,
consuming, linking, and executing the LLVM bytecode form.  Bytecode forms are
explicitly out of scope for libjit, of course.

I'm still looking for an equivalent of libjit's Tutorial 1 - i.e. building and
compiling a function on the fly, and then executing it immediately without
some intermediate on-disk form being generated.  Perhaps you could point me
in the right direction?

I will investigate the source before commenting further.

Cheers,

Rhys.

P.S. LLVM is very cool - I have nothing against it per se.  I've merely set my
sights a little lower in the interest of VM authors.