dotgnu-libjit

Re: [Libjit-developers] libjit vs LLVM

From: Tim Jansen
Subject: Re: [Libjit-developers] libjit vs LLVM
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 15:18:42 +0200

On Friday 28 May 2004 08:20, Chris Lattner wrote:
> It's not that.  The problem is that there is a limited marked for this
> kind of thing.  Open source is really bad because everyone reinvents the
> wheel.

If I interpret LLVM's license correctly, it's BSD with advertising clause and
thus incompatible with the GPL. That would be a major obstacle for many
people who would want to use it as a library.

> The primary advantage that libjit has over LLVM seems to be the
> availability of a C API.

Which is quite useful if you want to run the VM in your target language and
use libjit as the only native code. (You need an interpreter in order to
start/bootstrap the VM though, or it would be desirable to save a native
program like llvm does)
Another libjit advantage is that there are very few dependencies, which can be
useful if your target platform is new.

bye..