dotgnu-libjit

Re: [Libjit-developers] License change - up for a vote

From: Thomas Cort
Subject: Re: [Libjit-developers] License change - up for a vote
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 15:08:16 -0500

What's the general position on relicensing libjit as GPL+LE or LGPL ?
[...]
This is being put forward because libjit needs a lot more users and
despite what its original intentions were, the codebase is in danger
of stagnating with just x86 if deprived of more users for too long.

I know my opinion probably won't get much weight as I haven't done
very much development lately and I've only been around for less than a
year and I don't hold the copyright to any of the code I've committed,
but I'd just like to say that I would prefer staying with the GPL for
libjit for the reason quoted below. It's just my opinion and I'm sure
others have opposing opinions, so let's not start a flame war please.

From "Why you shouldn't use the Library GPL"
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html

"Proprietary software developers, seeking to deny the free competition
an important advantage, will try to convince authors not to contribute
libraries to the GPL-covered collection. For example, they may appeal
to the ego, promising "more users for this library" if we let them use
the code in proprietary software products. Popularity is tempting, and
it is easy for a library developer to rationalize the idea that
boosting the popularity of that one library is what the community
needs above all.

But we should not listen to these temptations, because we can achieve
much more if we stand together. We free software developers should
support one another. By releasing libraries that are limited to free
software only, we can help each other's free software packages outdo
the proprietary alternatives. The whole free software movement will
have more popularity, because free software as a whole will stack up
better against the competition."