[Pnet-developers] [bugs #7321] program using regex generates run time er

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [Pnet-developers] [bugs #7321] program using regex generates run time error - works with m$ and mono
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:01:42 -0500

This mail is an automated notification from the bugs tracker
 of the project: DotGNU Portable.NET.

[bugs #7321] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Thu 01/22/04 at 06:01 (GMT)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
          Resolution | None                      | Fixed
              Status | Open                      | Closed

I've updated our regex code to match Mono's.  However, there is a bug in Mono's
regex code (which I've fixed in
our copy).

Line 785 of interpreter.cs does an Debug.Assert on
"cp > mark_start".  This should read "cp >= mark_start".
It works fine in Mono because mcs removes the Assert calls
from the program due to "Conditional(DEBUG)" attributes.
Since we are compiling pnetlib in debug mode, the assert
is compiled into our code and fires.

You may want to report this bug to them so that they
can fix it in future versions of their regex code.

[bugs #7321] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: DotGNU Portable.NET
Submitted by: Seth Kurtzberg
On: Mon 01/19/04 at 02:37

Category:  None
Severity:  5 - Average
Item Group:  None
Resolution:  Fixed
Assigned to:  None

Original Submission:  The attached program generates the following message when
executed by ilrun:

Assertion failed: Regex

The program compiles with cscc, mono, and m$.  mono and m$ run the compiled
program, cscc produces the error.

The same error occurs when ilrun is used to execute the code compiled by cscc,
and when ilrun is used to execute the code (for the same program) compiled
using mono's compiler.

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Thu 01/22/04 at 06:01         By: rweather
I've updated our regex code to match Mono's.  However, there is a bug in Mono's
regex code (which I've fixed in
our copy).

Line 785 of interpreter.cs does an Debug.Assert on
"cp > mark_start".  This should read "cp >= mark_start".
It works fine in Mono because mcs removes the Assert calls
from the program due to "Conditional(DEBUG)" attributes.
Since we are compiling pnetlib in debug mode, the assert
is compiled into our code and fires.

You may want to report this bug to them so that they
can fix it in future versions of their regex code.

File Attachments
-------------------

Date: Mon 01/19/04 at 02:37  Name: regex.pnet.problem.tar  Size: 10KB   By:
skurtzberg
Create directory, extract files from tar archive, run make.  Run the compiled
program with the command line:  ilrun ListGenerator String
TypesafeList.template StringList.cs     To see normal execution change CS in
the makefile from cscc to mcs
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?item_id=7321&amp;item_file_id=972

For detailed info, follow this link:
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=7321>