[Pnet-developers] Using cscc to comple C

From: John Goerzen
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Using cscc to comple C
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:15:29 -0500

Hello,

In my opinion, one of the most interesting features of cscc is the
ability to compile C source code.  This opens up some itneresting ways
to provide greater portability for existing code.  One thing I'm
interested in is rescue CDs[1] for Debian.  By compiling large
applications to CLR bytecode, it may be possible to make a truly
multi-architecture rescue CD by including native versions of core
programs and bytecode versions of other programs.  (The DFS CD is not
your typical rescue CD; it's a tool to build a full-fledged CD
environment based on your current kernel and modules.)  I realize this
may never be possible, but there are other interesting possibilities
too.

I decided to do some testing on cscc's C compilation abilities.  I was
able to compile and run a small Hello, World application.  (Note: if I
use printf() with only a format string and no additional args, the
resulting application cannot run with Mono but still runs with pnet.)

Next, I thought I would see how cscc fares with some common applications
that are known to be portable.  I obtained a number of common GNU (and
a few other) programs, some of which are portable not just across Unix
but also to Windows and DOS.  Not one of them compiled with cscc, and
two of them even caused a segfault.  The programs I tested were: sed
wget bash gzip bzip2 coreutils textutils dash.  I did discover one
actual bug in the source code, where a prototype conflicted with the
actual implementation of the function.

I also tried the C++ front-end, and it was not even able to compile a
minimal program due to passing -J to cscc-cpp, which it did not
support.

Here's my question: are you interested in fixing these issues?  If so,
would it be best for me to submit bugs with as many details as possible
on the problems?  I'm not very good with compilers or .NET yet, but I
am knowledgable about C, and would be willing to help out wherever I
can.

Thanks,
John

[1] http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs/