Re: [Pnet-developers] Using cscc to comple C

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Using cscc to comple C
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:05:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

> In my opinion, one of the most interesting features
> of cscc is the  ability to compile C source code.

It's not just a "feature" :) ... It was a great way to

show off the platform-frontend seperation of cscc :)

>  I realize this  may never be possible,
> but there are other interesting possibilities
> too.

Array boundchecked arrays , checks for memory
overwrites, leaks  .. Anything you can do with an
OpenSource VM :)

> able to compile and run a small Hello, World
> application.  (Note: if I
> use printf() with only a format string and no
> additional args, the
> resulting application cannot run with Mono but still
> runs with pnet.)

I'll have a good look at cscc-c-s after the weekend
(if you want anything to be fixed in particular).

> tested were: sed
> wget bash gzip bzip2 coreutils textutils dash.  I
> did discover one

I did try to build gzip something back ... there is
a bug in the dereference code generation in cscc
which I haven't bothered fixing yet .. it fails
verification, even if you get it to compile.

> Here's my question: are you interested in fixing
> these issues?

Time is my biggest issue ... I work on pnet strictly
on weekends . What would be nice would be for you to
track down bugs with as much details as possible
and report them , I'll be able to fix them (hopefully)
on the next weekend. And you could also get a nicer
view of how stuff in pnetC and cscc works (like
pthreads which is very very nicely done up) during
this so that you can slowly move into the actual
development.

I started on  pnet by reporting bugs and ended up
doing up stuff :)

Gopal