Re: [Dragora-users] eSpeakup on Dragora

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] eSpeakup on Dragora
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 18:38:03 -0300

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 18:34:52 -0200
Thiago <address@hidden> wrote:

> Em 09/01/2018 18:00, Matias Fonzo escreveu:
> > On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 13:28:52 -0200
> > Thiago <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> 4. I've added the espeakup_soft module to the kernel.
> >> modprobe speakup_soft
> >> and then started espeakup
> >> espeakup
> >>

> > Is this needed?.
> I think eSpeakup needs a way to be started at boot, after the
> speakup_soft module is inserted on the kernel. I don't know if it's
> possible to send a command in the boot sequence of the live CD and it
> will insert the speakup_soft module and start eSpeakup automatically,
> but if it's possible it would be nice.

OK.  The support has been added:
http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/dragora.git/commit/?id=ca00b922d5e13842a3eef7e5962177ccb9dd8ebb

The "problem" is that the kernel has been compiled with no default
synthesizer.  I can adjust the kernel configuration (in the next
cycle), selecting the modules to be built-in rather than compile it as
a module.

This will help to use Speakup when the system boots, assuming (of
course) that your synthesizer is supported by the Linux kernel.

> When speakup (the screen reader) loads itself on the kernel, it uses
> an external synthesizer to output text or the system is responsible
> for starting a bridge to a software synthesizer (eSpeakup in this
> case). eSpeak and Portaudio are dependencies to make eSpeakup (the
> software that gets the text from speakup) and speaks it using eSpeak
> work.
>
> Hope you understood it. It looks complicated at first but it's only a
> sequence of actions to be performed at the boot time.

Yes. Thanks for clarify, and thanks for suggesting this!  ;-)