Re: [Dragora-users] eSpeakup on Dragora

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] eSpeakup on Dragora
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 21:18:00 -0300

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 21:13:45 -0200
Thiago <address@hidden> wrote:

> Em 09/01/2018 20:10, Thiago escreveu:
> > I think you don't need to recompile the kernel, you just need to
> > add the modules to some init script that loads the modules at boot
> > time, like /etc/rc.d/rc.modules. We'll need to look how the Debian
> > people did it, but booting their netinst image and pressing s in
> > the boot prompt makes speakup and eSpeakup start automatically,
> > making it possible that blind people install Debian.
> >
> > Thank you very much for adding the Speakup support on Dragora. I
> > think that it will help many people.
> I have found how they do this. Maybe it can be included in the boot
> menu of Dragora.
> I don't know anything about Grub and Isolinux, so I'm not sure how
> easy would be to implement this.
> Here are the relevant lines of debian's grub.cfg file. I think they
> load the modules at startup time and check if the modules are loaded
> to run espeakup.
>
> menuentry --hotkey=s 'Install with speech synthesis' {
>      set background_color=black
>      linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 speakup.synth=soft ---
> quiet initrd   /install.amd/gtk/initrd.gz
> }

speakup.synth=soft is a kernel command-line parameter to enable the
'Userspace software synthesizer', this mean that they have it compiled
as module.  This will create a device node (/dev/softsynth) for
software like espeak.

What we need to know now if the other modules for Speakup has been
compiled as module, check the config file, or if you are in a Debian
system, type:

    zgrep -i speakup /proc/config.gz