Re: [Dragora-users] Some issues with the Dragora website

From: Chris F.A. Johnson
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] Some issues with the Dragora website
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 21:21:06 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019, Matias Fonzo wrote:

El 2019-11-13 22:17, Chris F.A. Johnson escribi?:
On Wed, 13 Nov 2019, Matias Fonzo wrote:

El 2019-11-13 21:56, Chris F.A. Johnson escribi?:
On Thu, 14 Nov 2019, Michael Siegel wrote:

Am 13.11.19 um 22:10 schrieb Chris F.A. Johnson:
On Wed, 13 Nov 2019, Michael Siegel wrote:
? I don't like underlining links (except on :hover). I prefer to make
? them stand out with bold. I saw this on a site several years ago
? and liked it. It seems to be used fairly often these days.

I have to disagree on that. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any
site that does it like that. But that's subjective, of course. My real
point is that making bold text indicate hyperlinks is not a good idea.

   Well the first four sites I went to after reading your comment
   don't have the links underlined:

         https://www.canadiantire.ca/en.html
         http://carlo-domeniconi.com/
         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
         https://www.audubon.org/birds-of-america

   And I've gone to a few other sites since I made note of those, and
   NONE have the links underlined (execpt on :hover, if then).

I just found more information about this, here:

https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/F73.html

   ...where it says:

   Procedure

      Check that each link in the page that is identifiable by color
      (hue) is visually identifiable via some other means (e.g.,
      underlined, bolded, italicized, sufficient difference in
      lightness, etc).

Personally I don't like to see underlined links on a page, especially when
there are many.  But I think that the above mentioned article tries to help
differentiate itself, using the established (by contrast) and additional
techniques (such as underlining).  As the article implies, this could help
other people, which I think is a good thing if it does.

If we're going to use underlining, I suppose we could do something to be in
the middle (so underlined links aren't redundant and tiring).  It could be:

- Split (I don't know how it will be in CSS) the external links with the
internal links.

   That's easy enough to do (though it's been a while since I've used
   it; I'll have to look it up).

- For external links, use underlining by default.

   But rather than underlining external links, I prefer to use a
   symbol after the link, just as Wikipedia does.

- For both cases, use :hover (underlined and maybe with background, as the w3
site has it).

  Right.

--
   Chris F.A. Johnson                         <http://cfajohnson.com/>