Re: [Dragora-users] Some issues with the Dragora website

From: Michael Siegel
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] Some issues with the Dragora website
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 16:05:14 +0100

Hello Chris.

Am 12.11.19 um 22:49 schrieb Chris F.A. Johnson:
>    The development version of the site is at https://dragora.cfaj.ca
>
>    Comments and suggestions are welcome.

It's nice to see someone is working on this. I like what you did there.

Now, if you look at the font-family settings for blockquote, ol and ul,
you'll see that they are different from the rest of the text. This
doesn't really make sense, does it? I mean, it surely breaks the site's
style, in a way, and doesn't exactly aid readability. I think both
font-family definitions should just be omitted. I've tried that and
think it really looks better.

Concerning the colors, I would suggest to

  * make normal text (basically, everything that is not a link) slightly
    darker for better contrast
  * choose a less “glowy” color for the box frames (Maybe the color for
    normal text would be a good choice.)
  * keep links always underlined and blue/red/purple (except for special
    links, e.g., those in the navigation menu), maybe making slight
    adjustments to each color

I've tried a few things and found that #005500 would make for a better
readable text color without being too far removed from what you're using
now. The headings (h2, h3) were a bit heavy then. But this was easily
cured by simply making them #006600. Then, I used #005500 as the border
color for the content and navigation link boxes and reduced the border
width to 1px. After that, I removed any styling for normal links. And,
last but not least, I removed the directive for importing fonts from
Google because that's unnecessary, IMO, and I'd rather have the Dragora
website not use Google services in any capacity.

The result of all this can be seen at

  https://www.msiism.org/fd/X8JWBe/Dragora.html

Let's discuss.

Best