Re: [Dragora-users] dragora-installer: Message improvement proposal I

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] dragora-installer: Message improvement proposal I
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 18:33:56 -0300

El 2019-12-28 14:54, Michael Siegel escribió:
Hi Matías.

Am 26.12.19 um 00:06 schrieb Matias Fonzo:
Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay.

No need to apologize. I knew there would be a bit of a delay.

I've uploaded a new package for the dragora-installer[1] with the new
messages and modifications, let me know what you think.

[1]
http://rsync.dragora.org/current/packages/x86_64/tools/dragora-installer-20191225-x86_64+1.tlz

I see. I thought we would simply discuss the old installer dialog by
dialog and you'd prepare a new package when that is done. As that is
easier for me, I'll stick to that scheme here, but using the updated
installer as the basis for my comments. So, this message will only
contain issues I found with the first dialog of the updated installer.

All in all, this looks quite a bit better than the previous version.

But:

## I

The window is missing the usual frame.

Yes, it helps to give focus on the text. Although, it's not uniform with the rest of the dialogues, it's not a big deal either since it's the initial screen (to imply).

## II

The second line should just be ended with a single period, not “...”.
(It's a full sentence.)

No problem, we can change that.

## III

“Use the arrow keys […] to move through the installer's menus.”

The problem with putting it this way is that it suggests you could
browse through all dialog windows just by using the arrow keys. But
that's not the case.

So, this sentence should rather read:

“Use the cursor keys to move around in the installer's menus.”

Right, it is more clear.

Let me provide a rationale for what I did here:

# 1

“move through” -> “move around in” should be clear

No problem.

# 2

“arrow keys” -> “cursor keys”

I think that “cursor keys” is the adequate term here, for the following
reasons (Bear with me.): First, there are quite some other keys on a
standard keyboard that might be labeled with nothing but arrows. On my
keyboard, these are Backspace, Return, Tab, Shift and Caps Lock. Second,
„cursor keys“ would also include the Home/Pos1 and End keys as well as
Page Up and Page Down, which are not or not necessarily labeled with
arrows, but work as expected in the installer (I've just tested this.).
Third, you can generally use other keys than the “arrow keys” for doing
the same thing, notably 8, 6, 2 and 4 from the numeric keypad. I haven't been able to verify this actually works in Dragora's installer (keyboard
lacks numpad…), but it should.

Yes, Page Up/Page Down are useful to scroll up or down. dialog(1) has alternative keys, like + or -.

# 3

I would omit the visualization of the cursor keys from the sentence. The
current form wouldn't be adequate anyway (see # 2 above). If someone
really shouldn't know what cursor keys are, Wikipedia or a simple web
search will reveal that instantly.

For this reason I used "arrow keys" and not "cursor keys". But if you want to go with "cursor keys", the visualitazion of the arrows can help (since we try to be obvious); It's not a good idea to assume that the user or person will look up in Wikipedia.

## IV

“The confirmation options in the menus are made with [SPACE] or [ENTER].”

This means something quite different than what you're trying to express.
In its current form, this sentence says that “confirmation options” are
objects, like wooden desks, for example, and that the tools to produce
these objects are “[SPACE]” and “[ENTER]”, just like a saw and a hammer
are tools used to produce a wooden desk.

It should instead say something along the lines of “To confirm ‘things’,
hit [SPACE] or [ENTER]”. I can't think of a viable solution right now,
but I'll try some more and let you know when I come up with something
useful.

Hmm, I will see what I can I do if something comes to mi-nd.

Apart from that, I'm wondering whether “[SPACE]” and “[ENTER]” is the
right way to refer to those keys. As far as I know, the names of
computer keyboard keys are usually just capitalized and not written all
in caps, e.g., [Space] and [Enter]. Looking at my own keyboard confirms
that.

I will change that to be capitalized.

## V

The last sentence needs a comma after the closing parenthesis.

That's all.

Have a nice day.

Thanks, Michael.  :-)

--msi