Re: [Dragora-users] Proposal: flexible script to create different images

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] Proposal: flexible script to create different images
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 13:36:48 -0300

Hello DustDFG!,

El 2022-05-10 14:29, DustDFG escribió:

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 1:47 PM Matias Fonzo <selk@dragora.org> wrote:

El 2022-05-10 01:32, DustDFG escribió:
> On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 1:12 AM Matias Fonzo <selk@dragora.org> wrote:
>
>> El 2022-05-06 03:58, DustDFG escribió:
>> > Hello Matias!
>> >
>> > I am sorry for the delay
>>
>> No problem!
>>
>> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 7:00 PM Matias Fonzo <selk@dragora.org>
wrote:

>> > The size of the ISO matters, since we have to create the images for
>> >>

>> > As I know, now qi has an `--outdir` command line option. It can't give
>> > you
>> > several cd's by stripping size but you can easily move all packages
>> > from
>> > the 00-core.order to folder  var/cache/qi/packages/cd1
>> >

>> Yes, and measure its size to see if it fits in 700 MB.  Other series
>> can
>> make up the "cd2" and so on...
>>

> It seems to me that qi mustn't do it. It seems to me that it must do
> something wrapper....

Yes, from the 'build-for-release' script.

I understood that cdN must depend only on packages from it or other cd's
with number lesser than N.
Does the order files follow this idea?

Right now the 'build-for-release' script proceed with all the order files. What I have in mind at the moment, is to process for example "00-core.order" which would compose a CD (CD1), and see in the following orders, e.g "01-sound", "02-dict" and maybe "03-xorg" could compose CD2...

>> >  It is something like `darkcrusade` compiler collection. I also think
>> > that
>> > the rootfs can be a template for different image types (iso, qcow ...)
>> > so I
>> > thought that the rootfs and the core image is one entity.
>> >
>> > It seems to me that it will be good to have an xx-bootstrap.order that
>> > contains minimal system that you can run...
>>
>> For a minimal system it is needed to identify, mark or sub-categorize
>> the most essential packages required to run the system.
>>

> What do you propose?

Well... the category of a package can be renamed to "essential", or the
essential packages can be declared in a new order file.

Alternatively for a minimal system you can make a new stage containing
the C library, the kernel, perl, graft and qi, the init system, and
maybe other packages like busybox plus utilities to make network or
internet available.

I almost like this idea :)

I think that it is already almost done because the stage 1 produces a
temporary
system that looks like the core system or the rootfs. I think that creation
of a new stage
is a bit unnecessary action. I think that we really need to make a new
`essential`
order file (maybe with a new category with the same name) that contains only packages from the stage 1. It will permit not to change scheme of system
building
but it will give possibility to get rootfs or the core system.
What do you think about it?

Stage 1 provides software to build more software, for a minimal system we don't need this, but a small system that can install the rest (or the desired available) binary packages, local or remote would be great.

About a new order file for essential packages, sounds good. I think it would also be a good idea to rename the category of those (super) essential packages. To identify them, to be able to search them more easily, where maybe also the installer can offer such packages, installation.

In one of your previous messages you write that rootfs can be an archive.
You also pointed
out that archive is much faster than installing qi packages one by one. But
it can be produced
by installing qi packages one by one into the system. After installing the
packages you can
archive filesystem and get the rootfs...