Re: [Dragora-users] Proposal: flexible script to create different images

From: DustDFG
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] Proposal: flexible script to create different images
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 15:43:21 +0100

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 3:04 PM DustDFG <dfgdust@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 12:31 PM Matías Fonzo <selk@dragora.org> wrote:

> > > I tried to understand what depends on hard coded paths but I couldn't
> > > do it. In every place we know where is tools directory. I can't
> > > understand why we need link to tools directory and what depends on it.
> > > Could you explain it, please?
> >
> > It is enough to do a `grep tools stages/1/*` to know what depends on
> > /tools. Both the installation of tools and the dynamic linker are going
> > to look through this path, in order to isolate the host system, mainly
> > the isolation of the C library with respect to the system in which you
> > run with the system you want to build.  This is somewhat documented[1]
> > and done by projects such as Linux From Scratch[2].
> >
> >  From [1]:
> >
> > "
> > The overall goal of Chapter 5 and Chapter 6 is to produce a temporary
> > area that contains a known-good set of tools that can be isolated from
> > the host system. By using chroot, the commands in the remaining chapters
> > will be contained within that environment, ensuring a clean,
> > trouble-free build of the target LFS system. The build process has been
> > designed to minimize the risks for new readers and to provide the most
> > educational value at the same time.
> > "
> >
> > [1]
> > https://linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/partintro/toolchaintechnotes.html
> > [2] https://linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/
> >

> It seems to me that gcc has linker option -rpath...

Ok. I didn't think -rpath won't have sense.

First of all, I want to say that I understand why we need tmp system
but I can't understand where it depends on something that we can't
pack like darkcrusade.

After processing stage 1 we get tmp system that depends on itself
only. Yes, we need host system to run it (with chroot) but we can move
it to another system. It is self-contained like darkcrusade compilers.
Where am I wrong?