Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity and full backup

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity and full backup
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:12:54 -0700

  WF> Is it possible to recreate a new source file generate with
  WF> d-5+d-4+d-3 as the new d-3 file? so we can delete d-5 and d-4 or
  WF> will i have to full backup every 3 month?

Right now you have to backup every 3 months.  What you request makes
sense, and it wouldn't be extremely hard to do, but isn't implemented
yet.  One concern making sure everything wouldn't be lost if it's
deleted in the middle.

The easiest way to do this would be to keep the old d-5, d-4, and d-3
sets until the new d-3 set is fully written.  But that would possible
take a lot of disk space, and if you want to do this, you probably
don't have enough space for two full backups.  The other option would
be to do it volume by volume.  An abort in the middle would seem to
screw everything up, since you have half of one set, and half of 3
others, but maybe it can be done safely, I dunno.

--
Ben Escoto