Re: [Duplicity-talk] Handling of aborted sessions...

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Handling of aborted sessions...
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:12:11 -0700

  RB> I just tried to restore something and got:

  RB>   # duplicity --no-encryption \ --file-to-restore foo/bar \
  RB> file:///somedir/duplicity .  Warning, found incomplete backup
  RB> sets, probably left from aborted session

  RB> What does this mean?  If it means that duplicity can't restore
  RB> because some incremental backup failed, then is there any way
  RB> duplicity could scan for this problem and scream loudly the next
  RB> time you try to make an incremental backup after a failure.
  RB> Better yet,can we arrange it so that duplicity just doesn't
  RB> "commit" a backup until it's finished (i.e. doesn't "mv" the
  RB> backups into their final place until the whole backup finishes),
  RB> and offers to delete (or warns that you ought to delete)
  RB> corrupted backups the next time it's run?

Duplicity ignores incomplete backup sets.  So basically they aren't
"committed" until the very end.  (Possible exception:  if the manifest
file is only partially written bad things could happen.  But in
general the remote end doesn't support any kind of atomicity
guarantees, so I think assuming a short file like the manifest file is
either not transferred, or transferred correctly is the best that can
be done.)  The warning should be harmless.  If you want to get rid of
those incomplete sets, try running duplicity with the --cleanup
option.

--
Ben Escoto