Re: [Duplicity-talk] Missing --sftp-command in 0.4.2

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Missing --sftp-command in 0.4.2
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:02:50 -0500

> Using the scp backend, it was possible, in duplicity 0.4.1, to specify
> scp/ssh options with the --scp-command and --ssh-command command
> line options.
>
> This allows, for example, to specify an alternate ssh public key to be
> used automated backup purpose, or to force SSH to bound to a specific
> network interface. I've been using it on many systems, and I do rely
> on it. I'm also responsible for the duplicity support in a backup
> frontend called backupninja[1], which also relies on this great
> configuration possibility.
>
> But 0.4.2's changes a bit the way the scp backend works ; diff'ing the
> scpBackend class, one can see "sftp_command" (== sftp) being used in
> the list and delete methods. I don't care, but I've not found any
> documented way to specify additional options to be passed to sftp ;
> this renders the --scp-command and --ssh-command almost unuseful
> for me... and breaks backupninja's duplicity support.
>
> An obvious solution would be to add a --sftp-command command-line
> option ; reading commandline.py, it seems to me a 3-lines patch, plus
> 3 lines to add to the manpage. If this solution suits you, I could
> write the needed patch.

Hi, Jiri Tyr's patch (sorry for getting your name wrong earlier :))
switched ssh to sftp, and I'm not sure the exact reason why.  Using
ssh to list and delete files always seemed a bit fragile to me, so I'm
sure he had a good reason.

Adding an --sftp-command seems like the appropriate solution.
I've added the patches at:

http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewcvs/duplicity/duplicity/commandline.py?root=duplicity&r1=1.15&r2=1.16&makepatch=1&diff_format=u

http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewcvs/duplicity/duplicity.1?root=duplicity&r1=1.17&r2=1.18&makepatch=1&diff_format=u

which do exactly what you suggested.