Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Re: Re: First restore failing

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Re: Re: First restore failing
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:34:55 +0100

> The problem is that uses_netloc is overridden in line 48 of backends.py
> to match only the URLs that duplicity is interested in.

Ouch. I'll file a bug against this for thread-safety (which is worse than just
a design issue), just so we don't forget it.

> To fix this behavior, import urlparse_2_5 as something other than
> urlparser for use in parsing webDAV internal URLs.

If I understand you correctly that will not work since it is still the same
module, regardless of the name to which it is bound in the local module.
Special steps could be taken to fool python into importing it twice, but I
shudder at the thought. :)

Without getting into "real" solutions that design away the need for clobbering
things in a foreign module, I propose to change the clobbering to augment the
list rather than re-set it completely. This is less destructive, and https
will be supported.

Separately, a list of supported backend schemes could be kept and the
following checks in ParsedUrl() would use this list instead of or in addition
to urlparser.uses_netloc in performing its checks. Thus, we would have more
full support for schemes in the parser module, yet still keep to only known
schemes in validating backend URL:s.

Any objections / better suggestions?

--
/ Peter Schuller