Re: [Duplicity-talk] problem with restores from S3

From: Russell Clemings
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] problem with restores from S3
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:02:12 -0700

That works, thanks. My confusion lay in a misreading of the man page:

"Now suppose we accidentally delete /home/me and want to restore it
the way it was at the time of last backup:
    duplicity scp://address@hidden/some_dir /home/me
Duplicity enters restore mode because the URL comes before the local
directory. If we wanted to restore just the file "Mail/article" in
/home/me as it was three days ago into /home/me/restored_file:
    duplicity -t 3D --file-to-restore Mail/article
scp://address@hidden/some_dir /home/me/restored_file"

I took the first to be the command you use to restore a whole
directory, and the second to restore a single file. I guess the first
is actually used only if you want to overwrite the directory you're
restoring. I'm not brave enough for that.

For the archives:

# Restore entire /root directory to new /root1 directory
/usr/local/bin/duplicity -v9 --encrypt-key=${GPG_KEY} \
--sign-key=${GPG_KEY} --file-to-restore root s3+http://BUCKETNAME/ /root1

# Restore single file "filename.txt" to new location /root/filename.txt1
/usr/local/bin/duplicity -v9 --encrypt-key=${GPG_KEY} \
--sign-key=${GPG_KEY} --file-to-restore root/filename.txt
s3+http://BUCKETNAME/ \
/root/filename.txt1

# Restore /root by overwriting from last backup
/usr/local/bin/duplicity -v9 --encrypt-key=${GPG_KEY}
--sign-key=${GPG_KEY} \ s3+http://BUCKETNAME/ /root

rac