Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.07 Released

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.07 Released
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 06:49:47 -0500

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:
> The company that wants to contribute does not want to tivoize Duplicity,
> or to contribute patented code, they want to make Duplicity the backup
> agent of choice for their device, and that would be a big plus for
> Duplicity and everyone.

The improvements listed would be nice.  I just don't understand why
the GPLv3 prevents them from making those same contributions.

The only reason I can think of is that one of the specific protections
in the GPLv3 would apply to them -- i.e. they want to reserve their
right to sue users over patents they inject into the code or they want
to tivoize it [1].

Have they explained why they can't contribute under the GPLv3?

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#Tivoization

-mt