Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.07 Released

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.07 Released
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 06:39:44 -0600

Michael Terry wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The company that wants to contribute does not want to tivoize Duplicity,
>> or to contribute patented code, they want to make Duplicity the backup
>> agent of choice for their device, and that would be a big plus for
>> Duplicity and everyone.
>
> The improvements listed would be nice.  I just don't understand why
> the GPLv3 prevents them from making those same contributions.

I'm asking for an explanation now.

> The only reason I can think of is that one of the specific protections
> in the GPLv3 would apply to them -- i.e. they want to reserve their
> right to sue users over patents they inject into the code or they want
> to tivoize it [1].

I know what Tivoization is and they can't do that.  The entire source of
their product is available for download and nothing is missing.  You
could rebuild the system and use your own version if you wanted.  That
is not a problem.  As to patents, no, they are FOSS supporters.  They
just released a major piece of software as open source themselves, so I
doubt this is the case at all.