Re: The company that wants to contribute (was Re: [Duplicity-talk] Versi

From: rsync.net
Subject: Re: The company that wants to contribute (was Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.07 Released)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 07:40:27 -0800 (PST)

Friends,

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

I would strongly encourage the duplicity developers to take broader
advice on this subject— I'm sure the FSF would be willing to provide
their take on the subject (and, I've found them to be quite reasonable
in the past, for example they recommended the X11 license for a
project rather than the GPL),  and the Software Freedom Law Center
(http://www.softwarefreedom.org/), an independent law firm for Free
Software/Open source projects may be willing to provide some advice.

As GPLv3 adoption increases more projects will likely receiver similar
requests.  While the final decision of licensing is a personal one for
the developers— many of the factors worth considering are common
across many projects.  By taking the time to make a considered and
informed decision here you may save other projects time and risk.

rsync.net will continue[1] to provide any and all financial (and other) support that duplicity and Ken Loafman require.

If there are other, intangible benefits to partnership/collaboration with third parties, the duplicity project should certainly pursue them. However, if there is ever a simple need for resources, please contact us first for support with no strings attached.

Please accept the continued gratitude of myself, my employees, and the thousands of rsync.net customers around the world that use duplicity every day with our service. We are all very happy with the project and with the active community that exists on this mailing list.

John Kozubik
rsync.net, Inc.

[1] http://www.rsync.net/resources/notices/2007cb.html