Re: The company that wants to contribute (was Re: [Duplicity-talk] Versi

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: The company that wants to contribute (was Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.07 Released)
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 21:09:07 +0100

Quim Gil wrote:
Hi there,

Yes, at the moment we cannot take any component to our platform licensed
as GPLv3 only, and therefor we couldn't choose Duplicity. "GPL2 or
later" is absolutely fine.

What is the legal reason? I can't see the conflict of LGPL and GPL3. Only deriving from duplicity would be problematic, but I can't see how you are going to do this.

ext Michael Terry wrote:
I also appreciate the information.  Though you weren't terribly
clearer about exactly why your lawyers have reservations

Lawyers in general are reluctant about written statements. Double
reluctant if their speak on behalf of a big corporation. And I'm not a
lawyer, so imagine how reluctant I am about writing on legal stuff with
my nokia.com address.  :)

may real nokia lawyer please speak up :)

You need to think that Nokia ships software preinstalled in sold
devices. Anything wrong in that software might cause very expensive
liabilities, and this is why some conservatism might even make some sense.

Well. Using open source does not free a company from extensive testing and through that giving it's customers the most stable product. Any bugfixes and enhancements of are delivered back to the project for the benefit of all. Thanks to GPL.

I believe Nokia is acting in good faith and doesn't intend to legally
abuse the codebase.

You can ask about Nokia's behavior in other community projects around
GNOME, freedesktop.org, WebKit, Mozilla, Xorg, Linux Kernel... and now
KDE after the Trolltech acquisition. They tend to have good opinions for
what I can tell.

There was the S60 + the co-owned Symbian stacks, based on closed source
but even that is moving now to open source. Really, the last thing Nokia
wants is to abuse and get bad reputation in the open source community.

If it is so nokia should use and contribute to GPL'd code ..

kind regards ede