Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures w/ S3 backend

From: Maurizio Vitale
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures w/ S3 backend
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:52:38 -0400

On Mar 11, 2009, at 9:33 PM, Kenneth Loafman wrote:

Just to verify, the OpenSuse machine will backup *and* restore from S3,
but the Ubuntu machine can't restore what OpenSuse wrote?  Correct?

Ok, it seems like a backup on Ubuntu can be restored on both Ubuntu and
OpenSuse (they're not finished yet, it is the 2.5GB workload, but the went
way past the stack trace point and are both happily downloading).

Now, unless you have other ideas, it seems to me it is time for me to look at other dependencies (librsync and others) and see if thee're differences.

librsync is version 0.9.7 and the dependent libbz2 is 1.05. Same on both machines. I'll try to recompile the two libraries from pristine sources, as openSuse has
a less than perfect track record in their modifications.

If it was a wrong fix on OpenSuse's librsync or libbz2 (are there other dependencies when dealing with the boto backend?), it would explain why certain things can be
compressed and decompressed on Suse but nowhere else.
But it wouldn't explain while getting the files w/ s3cmd and restoring from that fileset fails on both systems (are the files backend specific?). So I don't have huge hopes for
this test, still it is worthwhile to do. And I have no better ideas.

Can you think of anything else for me to try?

Thanks,

        Maurizio