Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures w/ S3 backend

From: Richard Scott
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures w/ S3 backend
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:39:08 -0000 (UTC)

> I use ntp on my workstation/servers, but I haven't enabled it on
> VMs. I was under the impression that the daemon would give up if
> the time difference with the servers is too large.

I run 'ntpdate' at boot time before starting my ntpd daemon.... this updates
the date to the
correct time so ntpd doesn't complain about any differences. I even have a
system with a dead CMOS
battery that forgets all its settings if I remove the power lead and it works
on that system, so
perhaps this may help you?

>From what I can see, Amazon S3 can use a timestamp to help with validating
>authentication... If
the time stamps are too far apart then S3 will reject the command.

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonS3/2006-03-01/S3_Authentication.html

For example, you can mark a command with an expiration date and time for the
request. If this time
has passed then S3 will reject a valid request.

Perhaps s3cmd doesn't mark each command this way and Boto does? If that's the
case then maybe its
not a bug as in "broken code", but just something we need to monitor for and
display a error
message on when it happens?

Rich.