Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.6.0 Released - Checkpoint/Restart

From: Jacob
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.6.0 Released - Checkpoint/Restart
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:34:07 -0400

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 12:55:48 -0500
Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think it has out-grown it's
> original purpose and needs to either be pared down and simplified, or
> enhanced and functionally completed into something that will handle
> major backup tasks.

I think enhancing it is a great idea. I've previously posted an idea to have
little "markers" to denote, say, which backup was made just before a major
upgrade of software so-and-so, and it would be extremely easy to implement if
duplicity were to use a proper database to store its information.

The only thing I'd want is the same ease-of-use I've found in previous
duplicity versions. That's the reason I chose duplicity. Most other backup
systems were very difficult for me to configure, but duplicity had pretty much
no configuration required. What a difference! :)

Of course, it doesn't have to remain /that/ easy, but I think you get the idea.

> It would be handy to use a database for all of this, both the sig and
> manifest info could be stored in the database, along with options, logs,
> and history.  An SQL database could be used for this quite easily, but
> my issue with database access is that now you're into major program
> requirements that get away from small size.  Plus, to be a true backup,
> you have to store the same info remotely so nothing is lost if the
> backup machine dies, which kind of implies multiple formats.  I don't
> think you'd want to shove a database over the wire for a backup.

You could look into using sqlite, which is a database in a single file. All you
have to do is simply back up that file. (Even the sqlite binary can statically
compile into a single, self-contained file, which may also be perfect for
environments that would like as few dependencies as possible.)

--
    Jacob

    "For then there will be great distress, unequaled
    from the beginning of the world until now—and never
    to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut
    short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the
    elect those days will be shortened."

    Are you ready?