Re: [Duplicity-talk] Installation issue: name '_librsync' is not defined

From: Scott Hannahs
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Installation issue: name '_librsync' is not defined
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:48:24 -0500

On Dec 11, 2009, at 11:31 PM, Douglas Muth wrote:

> I'm trying to install the latest and greatest version of Duplicity
> (0.6.06) on the latest and greatest version of OS/X (10.6 aka Snow
> Leopard).  Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck.
>
> After untarring duplicity, I try setting it up as follows:
>
> python ./setup.py --librsync-dir=/sw build
> python ./setup.py --librsync-dir=/sw install
>
> But when I go to execute it, I get this traceback:
…

Doug,
I just went through the same thing.  It took some debugging but the solution is
simple.  The problem is that python is a 64 bit application.  I am going to
take a wild guess that you upgraded to Snow Leopard and that your fink is a 32
bit version.  Under fink for Snow Leopard you can install either a 32 or a 64
bit version.  If you upgrade it can only be a 32 bit version.

The only way to upgrade from 32 to 64 bits for fink is to wipe out your /sw
directory and reinstall.

I installed a new fink from sources and when asked, responded that I needed the
64 bit version.  Then fixed the config file to include "unstable" tree.  I then
did a selfupdate and then a single
fink install <list of all my packages>
the next day duplicity would work fine.

You can check that this is the case by doing the following command
file /sw/lib/librsync*

You should get the following list as 64 bit versions.

/sw/lib/librsync.1.0.2.dylib: Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library
x86_64
/sw/lib/librsync.1.dylib:     Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library
x86_64
/sw/lib/librsync.a:           current ar archive random library
/sw/lib/librsync.dylib:       Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library
x86_64
/sw/lib/librsync.la:          libtool library file

The only problem is if there is a fink installation that is not 64 bits that
you need.  If so you will have to hand build librsync rather than changing fink.

-sth