Re: [Duplicity-talk] Installation issue: name '_librsync' is not defined

From: Scott Hannahs
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Installation issue: name '_librsync' is not defined
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:58:04 -0500

On Dec 12, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Douglas Muth wrote:

> It sounds to me like the core problem here is that Duplicity's setup
> script will always build a 64-bit version of that library, which may
> not be the desired result.  I don't know the Python build system very
> well--would it be possible to to put a conditional in there to check
> if the user is running OS/X and warn them?  If someone can point me in
> the right direction, I'll write the code on my Mac and submit a patch.

Not quite.  The executable "duplicity" file is a python script.  This launches
the python executable /usr/bin/python.  Apple built that as a fat binary with
ppc, i386 and x86_64 code in it.  So it will run in all 3 modes.  The problem
is when you launch python under Snow Leopard it will launch the x86_64 version.
 At that point all binaries called dynamically have to be 64 bit as well.

This is sort of like the system preferences that launches in 64 bit mode.  If
you call a 3rd party 32 bit preference pane then the system preferences have to
quit and relaunch in 32 bit mode.

Plugins always have to be the same mode as the parent program.  In this case it
is python executable.

-sth