Re: [Duplicity-talk] Installation issue: name '_librsync' is not define

From: Douglas Muth
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Installation issue: name '_librsync' is not defined
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:01:39 -0500

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Scott Hannahs <address@hidden> wrote:
[snip]
> I just went through the same thing.  It took some debugging but the solution
> is simple.  The problem is that python is a 64 bit application.  I am
> going to take a wild guess that you upgraded to Snow Leopard and that your
> fink is a 32 bit version.  Under fink for Snow Leopard you can install
> either a 32 or a 64 bit version.  If you upgrade it can only be a 32 bit
> version.
[snip]

Ahhhh.  I turns out that I was doing a clean install on a new Mac, and
I opted to choose a 32-bit version.  That'll teach me not to use
cutting edge setups. :-)  Thanks for the detailed response, BTW.

Interestingly enough, I found a workaround with the 32-bit version.  I
simply pointed my (32-bit) installation to unstable and then did the
install.  The version of Duplicity that was installed (0.4.12) worked
just fine.

It sounds to me like the core problem here is that Duplicity's setup
script will always build a 64-bit version of that library, which may
not be the desired result.  I don't know the Python build system very
well--would it be possible to to put a conditional in there to check
if the user is running OS/X and warn them?  If someone can point me in
the right direction, I'll write the code on my Mac and submit a patch.

Thanks,

-- Doug