Re: [Duplicity-talk] duply restore Bug [ # diff -q -r /tmp/restore/sbin

From: han duply
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duply restore Bug [ # diff -q -r /tmp/restore/sbin /usr/sbin ] Comes wrong! {Amended 2}
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 20:43:26 +0800

Hi ede!

> 1.  Are these "missing files" Really Backuped in the FTP Server ??
>
>      Because the CMD "du -sh /usr/sbin /usr/sbin2" gives me:
>        /usr/sbin      34M
>        /usr/sbin2    32M      <== So Where is the other files of 2M ?

can it be that subfolders of /usr/sbin are still excluded?
you could ls -la each folder and diff the resulting outputs

- No there is not, see the content of "exclude" under my /etc/duply/tst2 folder.

      1 + /usr/bin
      2 + /usr/sbin
      3 - **

And finally I understand that all the "missing" file (e.g. "accton") is a special file (symbolic link file, like a shortcut) ,not the "Source file" (which have the content of the file)

And one more Question is :

How Could I restore the "source file" of the "accton" (which is a symbolic link) if the "source file" of "accton" under the /usr/sbin  was changed, missed or damaged?

TKS!!
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
On 06.03.2012 15:44, han duply wrote:
> *Hi ede! *
>
> TKS FOR YOUR NICE REPLY!!

np

> Yes!  When I put them in the folder "sbin2" of /usr, and use the CMD " diff -q -r /usr/sbin /usr/sbin2 " It Coms Right...
>
> *But two more Question come... *
>
> 1.  Are these "missing files" Really Backuped in the FTP Server ??
>
>      Because the CMD "du -sh /usr/sbin /usr/sbin2" gives me:
>        /usr/sbin      34M
>        /usr/sbin2    32M      <== So Where is the other files of 2M ?

can it be that subfolders of /usr/sbin are still excluded?
you could ls -la each folder and diff the resulting outputs

> *2.  If "Yes" to the first Question and then... *
> *
> *
>      *How could I fetch an old file from the backend (the FTP Server) and restore it to replace the file that missing or changed in the folder of  /usr/sbin  ? *

duplicity ---restore-time now --file-to-restore [--force] folder/file url://backup /out/folder/

could be that you need the --force parameter to overwrite existing files/folders
generally it is a better procedure to restore to a temporary location and replace from there after verification that the correct data was restored.

..ede/duply.net