Re: [Duplicity-talk] Keep running out of space on restore

From: Monte Milanuk
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Keep running out of space on restore
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:16:53 -0800

On 12/13/2012 01:32 AM, address@hidden wrote:

be aware: duplicity needs 2 times the space of the (biggest) file you
want to restore in TMP plus some volumes (see volume size in
manpage)

due to a bug (fixed in 0.6.20) 2 the 2 times file restored tempfiles
did not honor this setting correctly. it used the posix tmpfile()
routine.

Okay... something else must be wrong here. I (finally) got the files extracted to the storage space, and have been browsing through them. Everything appears to be as it should... which means there are *no* big files. I wasn't sure, so I didn't say anything before. Couldn't remember if I had a couple large multi-GB VM images or iso images lurking in here, but I thought I had already migrated that sort of thing to a separate (larger) drive. Turns out I was right. '

The largest individual file was approx. 600MB (a CD iso image) and the whole backup was approx. 2.2GB. The volume size for duplicity was 25MB, as per default.

But it still somehow managed to fill up approx. 10 or 11 GB worth of temp space on the root partition.

Thats a heck of a lot more than 2x the largest file restored plus enough for another volume or two.