[Duplicity-talk] Newbie, trying to synchronise encrypted data

From: Arnd Grossmann
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Newbie, trying to synchronise encrypted data
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 18:11:12 +0200 (CEST)

Hello All,

I am a system administrator in Berlin, Germany and working in the educational sector.

I am trying to use duplicity to synchronise files between different computers and a central server all running linux.

This is not actually what I understand duplicity was made for but it is the only way I could figure out to keep my files encrypted on transport and on the central server.

My problem is, that duplicity will not restore the files to an existing folder. If I try to use the force-option it will restore but will not do an incremental restore.

So I can incementally backup my files to the server from one or more machines but cannot restore to any of these without downloading all the files again.

Do you know a way to make duplicity restore incrementally to an existing folder?

Thank you for any advice. I read the man page and I will read it again an apologise a hundred times if it is in there somewhere.

Beste Regards
Arnd

I use the following commend:

duplicity --allow-source-mismatch --tempdir /media/some_disk --encrypt-key
MYKEY MYDIR scp://USER:address@hidden/MYDIR

btw: At the moment I am just gpg-encrypting a gzipped tarball which I have to transmit as a whole everytime something changed. This is worse for sure. So duplicity does make things better even if it works only one way.