Re: [Duplicity-talk] Newbie, trying to synchronise encrypted data

From: Arnd Grossmann
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Newbie, trying to synchronise encrypted data
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 13:51:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
On 04/04/2013 12:28:35 PM, Arnd Grossmann wrote:
On Thu, 4 Apr 2013, address@hidden wrote:
On 04.04.2013 18:31, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
You could, e.g., use an encrypted sshfs mounted filesystem
and rsync.
I need to keep the files encrypted on the server. This would only
work
if
I individually encrypted each file on the client before rsync.

I was thinking you'd encrypt from the local end,
so, e.g., you could loop mount a file on the remote side
with an encrypted fs in the file.

I am sorry for not pointing out that any machine except that one where the files are stored can be frequently offline and must therefore keep the files for offline use. The machines are my different computers and I store the stuff I need to have with me on all machines. When I stop working, I encrypt and upload my data. On whichever computer I use next the first thing is to download and decrypt before starting to work. Since changes are few and files are many I was looking for a way do the same with incremental backup. Duplicity works "upwards" but "downwards" I cannot avoid the complete restore.
regards
arnd