Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity wiped out my server

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity wiped out my server
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 11:07:05 +0200

On 06.05.2015 10:27, address@hidden wrote:
> OK folks, this software is truly DANGEROUS. The command line is incredibly
> obscure and counter-intuitive, and just trying to SIMPLY restore a single
> file resulted in duplicity WIPING OUT the entire root file system. What the
> hell?
>
> I can't say what I typed exactly because as I said the server is gone and the
> commandlines are friggin complicated and long, however, I pretty damn well
> remember that I included the "file-to-restore /path/to/blabla.ext" option,
> and why the FUCK can this result in the software deleting everything? The
> instruction I gave it is clear: RESTORE A SINGLE DAMN FILE. It was NOT:
> "ERASE ALL FILES"!
>
> Now if this were paid software I would at least ask for a refund, however,
> obviously I'll stop using it and warn everyone I'll ever talk to about even
> considering its use. It's no surprise that mostly everyone I know, even big
> corporations, still simply make fucking tar archives.

1. work on your manners, please.
2. use duply, if the command lines are too complex for you.
3. and most importantly, as a feature duplicity does not delete or overwrite
anything on your local filesystem during a restore. it will complain that the
tatget exists and fail. that's why you always have to restore to a temp
location and mv it manually from there.

regards.. ede/duply.net