Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity wiped out my server

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity wiped out my server
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 11:37:02 +0200

On 06.05.2015 11:11, address@hidden wrote:
> The command line is not "too complex for me".

you chose to use it. it was in your purview to select another software, but
_you_ did not.

> It is badly designed.

feel free to suggest concrete changes. but please, mind your tone.

>I simply wanted to restore a single file to its original location. so I set /
>as the destination, gave the file-to-restore option, and had to use --force
>because, ehh, it told me so.

there is a reason that it warns you.

>You may be right about my manners, but this is still incredibly wrong. If I
>tell a tool explicitly to do action X "restore a file", why does it instead
>delete all files, pretty much the opposite of what I told it to do?

just doublechecked and it did what you wanted. you can indeed replace an
existing folder with a file of the same name. it didn't even warn in this case,
so there is probably a bug.

> Yes, you will now say that "it works this way" and "read the manpage" etc.
> but no amount of discussion will change the fact that this tool is badly
> designed.

you shout accusations, but bring no points. where is this bad design you speak
of?

>It may have a great core engine, but the mere fact that this tool needs
>another "meta-tool" (duply) mounted on top as a clutch should tell the author
>that something's wrong with it.

1. duply is not needed, merely suggested to users if they don't want to dig
into all duplicity options
2. there is no one author anymore, we are a handful of volunteers doing this in
our sparetime

have fun using other software.. ede/duply.net