Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity wiped out my server

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity wiped out my server
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 11:11:41 +0200

The command line is not "too complex for me". It is badly designed. I simply wanted to restore a single file to its original location. so I set / as the destination, gave the file-to-restore option, and had to use --force because, ehh, it told me so. You may be right about my manners, but this is still incredibly wrong. If I tell a tool explicitly to do action X "restore a file", why does it instead delete all files, pretty much the opposite of what I told it to do?

Yes, you will now say that "it works this way" and "read the manpage" etc. but no amount of discussion will change the fact that this tool is badly designed. It may have a great core engine, but the mere fact that this tool needs another "meta-tool" (duply) mounted on top as a clutch should tell the author that something's wrong with it.

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 11:07 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
On 06.05.2015 10:27, address@hidden wrote:
> OK folks, this software is truly DANGEROUS. The command line is incredibly obscure and counter-intuitive, and just trying to SIMPLY restore a single file resulted in duplicity WIPING OUT the entire root file system. What the hell?
>
> I can't say what I typed exactly because as I said the server is gone and the commandlines are friggin complicated and long, however, I pretty damn well remember that I included the "file-to-restore /path/to/blabla.ext" option, and why the FUCK can this result in the software deleting everything? The instruction I gave it is clear: RESTORE A SINGLE DAMN FILE. It was NOT: "ERASE ALL FILES"!
>
> Now if this were paid software I would at least ask for a refund, however, obviously I'll stop using it and warn everyone I'll ever talk to about even considering its use. It's no surprise that mostly everyone I know, even big corporations, still simply make fucking tar archives.

1. work on your manners, please.
2. use duply, if the command lines are too complex for you.
3. and most importantly, as a feature duplicity does not delete or overwrite anything on your local filesystem during a restore. it will complain that the tatget exists and fail. that's why you always have to restore to a temp location and mv it manually from there.

regards.. ede/duply.net