Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity is slow on many small files

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity is slow on many small files
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 11:56:21 +0100

On 07.02.2017 11:46, Fazekas László via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm using duplicity to backup my webhosting server. My www directory is 17G,
> and it contains many many small files. A full backup to amazon S3 is >1 day.
> Is this a normal running time for a full backup?

what's your duplicity version?

try a test backup to a local file:// target and see how long that takes in
comparison.

>Creating tar from the www folder is 12min. Is it a good idea to make a tar
>before backup?

only if you are willing to untar manually on restore of course

>Will it speed up the backup process?

if the small files are the issue, then probably yes.

>Will duplicity store only modifications of the tar?

yes, but as we are using librsync it will look at it chunk by chunk and if say
in the beginning a file got bigger all content afterwards is offset and will be
regarded as changed.

>Or have you any other idea to speeding up the backup?

primarily using the latest duplicity from the website. there was an issue some
month ago that slowed down backups.

..ede/duply.net