Re: [Duplicity-talk] Can't delete duplicity s3/glacier archives? [SOLVED

From: Henry S. Thompson
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Can't delete duplicity s3/glacier archives? [SOLVED]
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:30:25 +0100

"edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk" <duplicity-talk@nongnu.org>
writes:

> On 29.07.2022 22:15, Henry S. Thompson via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>> For backing up my system to s3, I'm running:
>>
>>   - duplicity 0.8.17
>>   - Python 3.9.2
>>   - boto3 '1.24.36'
>>
>> My daily backups run fine.
>> But when I try to prune old incrementals
>>
>>    duplicity remove-all-inc-of-but-n-full 7 --force boto3+s3:///[bucket
>> name]/
>>
>> I get
>>
>>    Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
>>    Last full backup date: none
>>    No old backup sets found, nothing deleted.

> can you please post _full_ command lines (obfuscate private strings) for
>
> - daily backup
> - status (with working result)
> - remove-all...
>
> are the AWS env vars identical, so you are 100% [sure that] you are
> accessing the same bucket?

Thanks for being willing to help.

And in the course of preparing a detailed reply, copying stuff out of
my script and explaining it, I realised that I had not included in the
delete command some options from my backup command that might explain
the problem (although why 'status' worked _without_ those options
remains a bit of a mystery).  Adding those options fixed the problem.

For the record, the following is the command that _did_ work:

  duplicity remove-all-inc-of-but-n-full \
    --file-prefix-manifest=m_ --file-prefix-archive=a_
--file-prefix-signature=s_ \
    --encrypt-key=xxx --sign-key=xxx \
     --force 7 boto3+s3:///markup.co.uk/

  Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
  Last full backup date: Sun Jul 24 02:05:02 2022
  Deleting backup chains at times:
  Tue May 23 02:05:01 2017

Not sure if it was the missing prefix options, or the missing GPG
options, or both, that made the difference.

ht
--
Henry S. Thompson