Re: [Duplicity-talk] Can't delete duplicity s3/glacier archives? [SOLVED

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Can't delete duplicity s3/glacier archives? [SOLVED]
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 14:27:26 +0200

On 30.07.2022 12:30, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
"edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk" <duplicity-talk@nongnu.org>
writes:

On 29.07.2022 22:15, Henry S. Thompson via Duplicity-talk wrote:
For backing up my system to s3, I'm running:

   - duplicity 0.8.17
   - Python 3.9.2
   - boto3 '1.24.36'

My daily backups run fine.
But when I try to prune old incrementals

    duplicity remove-all-inc-of-but-n-full 7 --force boto3+s3:///[bucket name]/

I get

    Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
    Last full backup date: none
    No old backup sets found, nothing deleted.

can you please post _full_ command lines (obfuscate private strings) for

- daily backup
- status (with working result)
- remove-all...

are the AWS env vars identical, so you are 100% [sure that] you are
accessing the same bucket?

Thanks for being willing to help.

no problemo :)

And in the course of preparing a detailed reply, copying stuff out of
my script and explaining it, I realised that I had not included in the
delete command some options from my backup command that might explain
the problem (although why 'status' worked _without_ those options

status first updates the local cache `archive-dir` and works on that afterwards
afaik

remains a bit of a mystery).  Adding those options fixed the problem.

it's the little things, always important

For the record, the following is the command that _did_ work:

   duplicity remove-all-inc-of-but-n-full \
     --file-prefix-manifest=m_ --file-prefix-archive=a_
--file-prefix-signature=s_ \
     --encrypt-key=xxx --sign-key=xxx \
      --force 7 boto3+s3:///markup.co.uk/

   Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
   Last full backup date: Sun Jul 24 02:05:02 2022
   Deleting backup chains at times:
   Tue May 23 02:05:01 2017

Not sure if it was the missing prefix options, or the missing GPG
options, or both, that made the difference.

pretty sure it's the prefixes. you may try. `--encrypt-key=xxx --sign-key=xxx`
are only needed when actually encrypting/writing data.

consider using duply as frontend. once the profile is setup, it does add those
parameters as needed per command.

..ede/duply.net