eev

Re: [eev] Problem with M-k

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [eev] Problem with M-k
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 22:21:19 +0100

Hi Eduardo,

address@hidden writes:

> I installed elscreen here (from ELPA) and I am trying to learn it to
> find out what is going on - but it just occurred to me that there is
> something trivial that I can ask you that will make this fix faster.
> The definition of M-k is just this:
>
>   ;; (eek "M-h M-k M-k  ;; ee-kill-this-buffer")
>   ;; (find-efunction 'ee-kill-this-buffer)
>   ;;
>   (defun ee-kill-this-buffer ()
>     "Kill the current buffer with fewer warnings than `kill-this-buffer'.
>   See: (find-eval-intro \"`M-k'\")"
>     (interactive)
>     (let ((kill-buffer-query-functions nil))
>       (kill-this-buffer)))
>
> Can you check if both `C-x k' (kill-buffer) and `M-x kill-this-buffer'
> both work to take you back after typing M-j when elscreen is
> installed? My guess is that they should work - because it would be
> quite rude of elscreen to break them - and that the problem is
> somewhere else, possibly in hooks (that's just a wild guess, of
> course)... Anyway, I need to understand elscreen's outer & inner
> workings, and that will take some time...

They don't work! So the problem may very well be with elscreen. As I was
not fully satisfied by it, I'll probably investigate the alternatives
you suggest below.

> By the way, there seems to be some overlap in functionality between
> elscreen and eejump+find-wset... elscreen seems to be able to save
> multi-window configurations in a user-friendly way, while find-wset
> and friends can be used to create multi-window configurations in
> programmer-friendly ways... I will take a look at how elscreen saves
> multi-window configs, too.

Programmatic seems nice. I really should look into it.

> By the way 2: the high-level ways of creating multi-window configs in
> eev were not properly documented... now they are! See:
>
>   (find-multiwindow-intro)
>   http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-multiwindow-intro.html

This looks very nice!

By the way, I found two "typos" (in the form of non-aligned graphics)
while reading this:

,----
| is not enough; other setups, like these,
|
|    ______________________
|   |          |           |        _________________________
|   |          |  shell A  |             |            |            |
|   |          |___________|     |   script   |     GDB    |
|   |  script  |           |     |            |            |
|   |          |  shell B  |     |____________|____________|
|   |          |___________|     |            |            |
|   |          |           |     |   program  |   program  |
|   |          |  shell C  |     |     I/O    |    source  |
|   |__________|___________|     |____________|____________|
`----

and

,----
| High-level words
| ================
| Very often we want to create window setups like
|
|    _______________            _______________
|   |       |       |        |       |       |
|   |       |       |        |       |   B   |
|   |   A   |   B   |    or    |   A   |_______| ;
|   |       |       |        |       |       |
|   |       |       |        |       |   C   |
|   |_______|_______|        |_______|_______|
`----

> By the way 3: there are two brief comments by Xavier Mallard at this
> wiki page,
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsLispScreen
>
> which indicates that he tried to use elscreen, but got somewhat
> frustrated by it... Xavier uses eev (or _used to use_? =/) so we can
> use all this an excuse to bother the new elscreen maintainer to make
> everything work, and also to integrate eev and elscreen somehow, and
> to document similarities and differences...

The comment at the bottom of the page may indicate where the problem is
coming from:

> I’m trying out elscreen, but when I switch buffers via “C-x b” which
> runs “switch-to-buffer”, I see buffers from all screens when I tab
> complete. Is there a way to set it up so only the current screen’s
> buffers show? Thanks!

After thinking for a little bit, the main difference between find-wset
and elscreen is the following: find-wset let you nicely set up windows,
and you can easily configure it to remember the configuration in the
configuration file. I use elscreen in a more dynamic way, to avoid using
frames (I'm on OS X and I cannot find a window manager that I
like). This way I can have emacs applications that like to take the full
frame (such as gnus) running in some screen, and other setups running in
other screen, with a quick way to switch between them. My muscle memory
has learned "C-z 0" for email, "C-z 2" for agenda, and "C-z C-z" to
quickly switch between two screens. There are flaws but I greatly enjoy
this approach.

Alan