eev

Re: Learning EEV

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: Learning EEV
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 23:06:17 +0000

> I think that the problem is that eev grew organically from my needs.
> In the beginning I was a person who couldn't write programs longer
> than, say, 50 lines long, as I mentioned here:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-06/msg00802.html
>
> I wanted to learn lots of tools and programming languages, and I found
> that by keeping "executable notes" of everything that I did I became
> capable of much bigger tasks. Then eev became a collection of the best
> minimal tools that I had - a bit like Unix, in which many of the
> programs in the "core utils" are standard, but many of these programs
> only make sense to new users after several years - and from time to
> time I would declare some of my old tools obsolete, because I had
> replacements for them that were much more elegant... for example
> `M-x eev',

Nice story.

> described here,
>
>   (find-prepared-intro)
>   http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-prepared-intro.html
>
> that was sort of replaced by eepitch.

Perhaps it would be nice to have a glossary where your terms are
described in one sentence.  I have found that I get lost in so much
information.  When I don't understand something, I try to find the
information about that which I do not understand.  If I do not find it,
I do not know where to continue from there.  Sometimes the explanations
are tool lengthy.  So I get tangled in long references to terms and lose
my way to the main explanation.  I know that M-k is good to keep
organized.  But I feel that it is not enough for me.  I have needed
something more simple to start.  Now that I understand Emacs and EEV
better, I can understand eev-begginer much better.  But I think that it
would have been better to understand it without prior knowledge.

> I _guess_ that a good way to understand how to use the tools in eev is
> by following existing e-scripts -

O.K.  What are e-scripts?

> I learned Unix by understanding
> well-written shell scripts and makefiles, so that's similar - and I've
> been trying to create example of e-scripts that are easy to run and
> that demonstrate techniques that I think that are important.

Nice.

> This is a
> recent example:
>
>   (find-1stclassvideo-links "2022pict2elua")
>
>   Title: Pict2e-lua: a library for diagrams that is being developed
>          with eev and test blocks
>   MP4:   http://angg.twu.net/eev-videos/2022-pict2e-lua.mp4
>   YT:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiHsUhGVLGM
>   Page:  http://angg.twu.net/pict2e-lua.html
>   Comment: A very good demo of test blocks.
>   Date:    2022apr18
>   Length:  8:13

I watched the video.  But I did not understand.  Perhaps it is because I
do not use or have interest in LUA.  Much of the energy I put into
something comes from the applicability I find to my own situation.

> My suggestion is: try to run that example, and if something doesn't
> make sense, then ask a specific question, like "where can I find more
> info about what happens in 5:26?"
>
>   Hope that helps =/,

O.K.  Thank you very much for your input, your patience and disposition
to help.  :-)